Database selections for Sociology research
- Social Sciences Full Text This link opens in a new windowAdd Academic Search Complete from "Choose databases" for a more robust search of English-language social science journals.
- Taylor & Francis Online Journals This link opens in a new windowFull-text collection includes journals from many subject areas, including area studies, humanities, behavioral sciences, business, economics, education, engineering, environmental topics, language, literature, physical sciences, politics/international relations, social sciences, and more.
- SSRN eLibrary This link opens in a new windowIdentifies research articles in all areas of social science with some full text available.
- JSTORFull-text database but does NOT have current issues. All journals are scholarly but note that editorials etc. are included. Good source for classic history, anthropology and religion articles for example.
- Ethnic NewsWatch This link opens in a new windowAn interdisciplinary, bilingual (English and Spanish) and comprehensive full text database of the newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press. ENW titles offer additional viewpoints from those proffered by the mainstream press. 1990- current.
- GenderWatch This link opens in a new windowFull-text database of unique and diverse publications that focus on how gender impacts a broad spectrum of subject areas. Coverage is from 1970-present.
- Religion & Philosophy Collection This link opens in a new windowFull text article database for religion and philosophy. Not as comprehensive as Philosopher's Index.
- Academic Search Complete This link opens in a new windowA full text database containing nearly 5,100 journals, this scholarly collection offers information in nearly every area of academic study. Provided by SUNYConnect.
- Education Source This link opens in a new windowEducation Source is the largest and most complete collection of full text journals in education research.
- CQ ResearcherHas reports that focus on a single topic and features concise background discussion and chronologies, overviews of the current situation, pro and con commentary, as well as links to related organizations and a bibliography of related books and articles.
What journals are available?
Drake library offers over a hundred different sociology based journals. The titles ranges from the universal, American Journal of Sociology, to the more specialized, International Review of the Aesthetics & Sociology of Music.
How do I locate journals online?
The Drake library search will allow you to search for journals by a specific title or by a topic. Enter the journal name or the subject, such as sociology, then use the Filter/Sort button to narrow your search to journals. From the search results page you may select a journal then search directly within that journal.
How to tell if an article or journal is peer reviewed?
This video, Locating and Verifying Peer Reviewed Materials, will help you identify peer reviewed articles.
The Penguin Dictionary of Sociology
The fifth edition has been updated to reflect the shifts of sociological thought in the last five years. It is designed to support students and teachers of sociology and other related courses and the general reader. Available online
People’s movements in space, their purchasing habits and their online communication with others are now monitored in detail by digital technologies. We are increasingly becoming digital data subjects, whether we like it or not, and whether we choose this or not. Call # HM851 .L864 2015
Written by one of the founding fathers in the field, Visual Sociology explores how the world that is seen, photographed, drawn, or otherwise represented visually is different from the world that is represented through words and numbers. Available Online
Sport Sociology Peter Craig 2016
Any study of sport is incomplete without consideration of its social function and structures, its economic impacts both locally and globally, and its political dimension – particularly when used by nations for competitive gain Available Online
Feminist Perspectives on Sociology Barbara Littlewood 2014
Feminist Perspectives on Sociology examines how sociology has been transformed under the influence of feminism in recent years. This transformation consists both of a critique of established areas and the opening up of new ones. Available Online