About this Toolkit
This learning module will help you do research for your assignments and save you time. By the time you have completed it, you will be able to:
- Recognize when to use the library website for research.
- Learn how to get help during any stage of the research process.
- Learn how to read and interpret an assignment in order to select the best resources.
- Construct an effective search strategy.
- Select the appropriate database(s) for your research.
- Explain why the resources you chose are best for your assignment.
Why use the library webpage?
Google and wikipedia are great places to start doing research and even for finding some types of information.
Learning to use the library and the resources available through its web pages will help you find more scholarly resources and save you time.
Many of these resources are not available to you FREE on the web, but are provided to you through the library, SUNY, the state of NY, or even your SUNY Brockport technology fee.
Why use the library website?
If at any point, you need help in any part of you research please reach out to the librarian listed at the left, or go to the Get Help tab [opens in new tab]. page and chat with any librarian who is online or send an email. We are here to help you, and we will save you time as well!