Search a specific database for articles.
- Westlaw Campus ResearchAs of Spring 2016 this replaces Lexis as the go to for case law, both US and state.
- HeinOnline This link opens in a new windowAccess to the Social Justice Suite including: LGBTQ+ Rights, Slavery in American and the World: History, Culture, and Law, Gun Regulation and Legislation in America, Civil Rights and Social Justice, and Open Society Justice Initiative.
- West's Encyclopedia of American LawMany entries on social work related topics - adoption, foster care etc.
If you're looking for books containing laws, check the Federal (U.S.) and New York State tabs.
- The Law DictionaryFeaturing Black's Law Dictionary Free Online Legal Dictionary 2nd Ed.
Statutes are the laws as they were originally passed at the federal or state level. At the Federal (U.S.) level the original law is called Public Law # - #. The first number is the Congress it was made in, the second number is the order it came in during that session.
- Legal Information Institute at CornellThe "LSI," from Cornell Law School, will give you the last 10-20 years of most court's decisions, as well as some historic cases, in a much more user friendly format than Lexis. The LSI also has the Federal Rules of Bankruptcy, Civil, and Criminal Procedure, Evidence, and Regulation.
- Pre 1993 Public LawsThe full text of public laws from the 112th Congress (2011) back to the 82nd Congress (1951.)
- U.S. CodeThis is the code, the federal law as it currently stands.
- Congress.gov is the official website for U.S. federal legislative information. The site provides access to accurate, timely, and complete legislative information for Members of Congress, legislative agencies, and the public.
- Decisions of the Commissioner of Educationthis NY state source lists the decisions of the state education commissioner on a wide range of legal issues concerning K-12 schools in NY, 1991-date.
Appellate Court Law Library
In addition to our resources, a great regional resource for legal research is the Appellate Court Law Library in Rochester. This is a law library open to the public, and staffed by trained law librarians.
US Courts News Feed
Last Updated: Nov 29, 2022 3:05 PM