This search will limit results to books, eBooks, DVDs and CDs in Drake Library:
Reference resources in the library
The library collects music encyclopedias, dictionaries, and other music reference books. You can find these books in the library.
Some music reference books
- Baker's Biographical Dictionary of MusiciansLocated on the ground floor of the library in the reference collection.
- Garland Encyclopedia of World MusicLocated on the top floor of the library: encyclopedia set, 10-volumes, topics organized by geographic region. Call number: ML100 .G16 1998
- New Grove Dictionary of Music and MusiciansLocated on the ground floor of the library in the reference collection. A set of 29 volumes. Call number: REF ML100 .N48.
Reference resources online
The library provides you with access to music eBooks and other online encyclopedias and dictionaries where you can find general music reference information.
Some online reference resources
- OnMusic DictionaryDefinitions, audio pronounciation, and occasional music/video examples (OnMusic is the successor to the Virginia Tech Multimedia Music Dictionary)
Other music websites
- American Memory Performing Arts and Music CollectionsOver thirty collections from the American Memory project of the Library of Congress, including the Leonard Bernstein Collection, Aaron Copland, and Irving Fine collections, Southern Appalachian fiddle music, folk music from the Dust Bowl, and several large collections of nineteenth-century sheet music, among many others.
- Bodleian Library Broadside BalladsBroadside ballads: songs that were published in Britain on single sheets (broadsides) from the sixteenth through the early twentieth centuries. This database provides bibliographic access via a searchable Web database to 30,000 of the ballads, along with digitized images of each ballad sheet.
I need to find articles for a paper
- Oxford Reference This link opens in a new windowFrom entries in Oxford’s Dictionaries, Companions and Encyclopedias.
- JSTOR This link opens in a new windowProvides access to back issues of core scholarly journals in music and other disciplines.
- Ethnic NewsWatch This link opens in a new windowAn interdisciplinary, bilingual (English and Spanish) and comprehensive full text database of the newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press. ENW titles offer additional viewpoints from those proffered by the mainstream press. 1990- current.
- Academic Search CompleteOur largest subscription database, ASC is an excellent starting point for beginning your research in film studies.
Other music resources
- Writing about Music byISBN: 0520958810Publication Date: 2014-09-05eBook available to read online. Where do you place the hyphen in "Beethoven" if it breaks between two lines? How do you cite John Coltrane's album A Love Supreme? Is it "premiere" or "première"? The answers and much more can be found here. This classic handbook is the go-to source for anyone writing about music.
Last Updated: Aug 17, 2021 2:39 PM