Information Literacy Services
New! Information Literacy Instruction Information (Fall 2018)
The new Information Literacy Team provides services in multiple forms:
- Interactive, course-integrated instruction sessions
- Online Information Literacy Modules
- Research Guides in Blackboard courses
What is Information Literacy?
"Information literacy is the set of integrated abilities encompassing the reflective discovery of information, the understanding of how information is produced and valued, and the use of information in creating new knowledge and participating ethically in communities of learning."
Our Information Literacy Team equips students with the concepts and abilities required for intellectual growth.
Instructors can request a class session with a teaching librarian from our Information Literacy Team.
New! Schedule Your Instruction Session
The new Information Literacy Team has a new workflow for instruction session requests, beginning in fall 2018.
- Submit your request for instruction using the Instruction Request Form.
- The Information Literacy Team will review your request to ensure it meets the guidelines, and respond to your request within five business days.
- A teaching librarian from the Information Literacy Team will be matched with your request. Closer to the date of your requested instruction, this librarian will reach out to discuss the details of your assignment and finalize the learning objectives.
Guidelines for Instruction Sessions
New! Guidelines for Instruction Sessions
Our Guidelines for Instruction Sessions allow information literacy librarians to act as educational partners, and ensure we can create learning experiences that meet the needs of your class and students.
- Submit your request at least two weeks before the day of the session. Instruction requests submitted with less than two weeks of preparation time will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Have your assignment information and/or syllabus ready when submitting your request. Information literacy librarians partner with faculty to customize instruction sessions to specific assignments.
- Instructors are required to be present for sessions. In our experience, students are more engaged when you are there.
- Schedule an instruction session to occur as close as possible to the time when your students will begin their research. We recommend information literacy instruction at the point of need.
Instruction Request Form