Welcome! ¡Bienvendios! Bienvenue!
Welcome to the Research Guide for foreign language. The guide's major focus in on language majors offered at Brockport (Spanish, French), but also includes information on languages from our non-major programs (Japanese, Russian, ASL). Choose your language to get started.
Before you begin...
Before beginning any research in a foreign language there are a few key points of which to be aware:
- Occasionally books you want will only be available in foreign or large research library. We cannot always obtain these.
- When doing research, the database may only be searchable in English for certain aspects (subject).
- Most databases or catalogs have a way of limiting to the target language. Use advanced search.
- If you've been looking for more than 30 minutes, ask us. We can help.
There are steps to doing research:
Learn about your topic.
- Find a reference book, look at websites, gather information.
- Evaluate the information you read to make sure it's written by scholars.
Find Resources for your assignment.
- Books can help give a general overview.
- Articles give specific accounts or supporting examples.
- Websites should only be used if your assignment needs you to reference a company's website or a specific product.
Evaluate the information you've found.
- Do you have enough to do the assignment?
- Do you have enough scholarly resources?
- What help do you need?
Contact a librarian for help.
- Look at the Help tab.
Write your paper.
We're here to help you!